Sunday, November 8, 2009

Margie's Cowboy Cookies

*From the kitchen of Katie Hancock

This recipe is from a book my mom got me a few years ago called, "Nesting it's a chick thing." We first made them just because of their name. But honestly, my mom, Margie, did not invent them. Lol. The recipe claims to only make 4 dozen, but I was shocked when it made 7 dozen. They are definitely a favorite at family gatherings.

1 1/2 c. margarine, room temperature
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
4 c. unbleached flour
4 c. old fashioned oats
2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 350. With an electric mixer, whip up the margarine and sugars in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt and beat well.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the baking powder and baking soda into the flour. Tap this mixture into the creamed ingredients, mixing slowly with a sturdy wooden spoon, and stir in the oats until the dough comes together. Finally, add in the chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts.

3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop dough with a 2-ounce ice cream scoop. Press the top of the cookie dough mound down lightly with a spoon. Bake fore 7 to 12 mins, until light golden with tiny cracks on top. Yield: 4 (or more) dozen :)

1 comment:

  1. I made these and they were pretty good. I made the dough balls about the size I normally do and the cookies ended up HUGE, so next time I'll make them a little smaller. I might have also had too little flour.

    ReplyDelete