Friday, March 11, 2011

Kara's Bread

I'm not sure where this recipe originated, but I got it in a round about way from my friend Kara.  It's super simple, quick, and makes really good bread.  My favorite part about it is how diverse it can be...throw in a little bit of this one time, a little bit of that another.  My husband says that since I got into cooking everything is always "an experiment".  Maybe that's why I like this recipe.  It gives me permission to play around a bit.  I like that!

Ingredients:
10 1/2 cups white bread flour (or wheat flour*-- use at least 1 cup bread flour)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp salt
3 rounded Tbsp yeast
3 Tbsp cooking oil
4 cups hot (125-130 degrees) tap water
*if using wheat flour, substitute one cup applesauce (warm) for one cup hot water
Directions:
Mix dry ingredients.  Add oil and water.  Mix 5 minutes in electric mixer OR knead 10 minutes by hand.  Dough is VERY sticky.
Preheat oven to 350.  Shape dough into 4 loaves and place in greased loaf pans (8"x4").  Cover loaves with towel and let rise in warm place for 25 minutes.  Bake 25 minutes at 350.
OPTIONS:
1. substitute up to 2 cups flour with 2 cups whole grains, oats, 10-grain cereal, malt-o-meal, cracked wheat, flaxseed, or any whole grain you prefer.
2. bake only 3 loaves of bread and use remaining dough to make scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment